It is real. It is here. Maskne is a skin condition both you and your clients are subject to in our everyday lives.
Maskne is a different form of acne than what we commonly think of as clogged pores and breakouts, blackheads, whiteheads, cysts and nodules. Maskne is classified as “acne mechanica” which occurs with occlusion or friction against the skin. Over time, this continued friction may lead to inflammation that can block pores and lead to breakouts, usually in the area that a mask covers on the face. Prior to the pandemic, acne mechanica was often seen on athletes who wear helmets, headbands, or other gear during their sport. Now we are all athletes as far as our skin is concerned.
If you already see cases of sensitive skin, as well as, other skin sensitivities such as rosacea or dermatitis, you may notice an increase in symptoms and inflammation on the skin under the mask area. Think of that area under the mask like a petri dish, where moisture, sweat, and other debris accumulate and trap bacteria. The protective barrier of the skin may be broken down and become compromised due to the friction of a daily mask.
So here is the good news. You don’t have to accept this skin condition as something you and your client just have to live with. A commitment to caring for the skin in a new way to minimize the impact of mask wearing is required.
Here are 12 tips to keep the skin clear and calm during this time. Encourage mask wearing and incorporate these tips into a daily routine to keep skin at its best.
1. Use a disposable mask or wash the mask every single day. No double wearing of the mask if protecting the skin is the goal.
2. Make sure the mask feels soft against the skin. There are so many options when it comes to masks and a soft mask causes much less friction against the skin. The disposable surgical masks are soft and offer great protection. Consider having a box of these on hand at all times.
3. Limit the use of skin actives. We are professionals and we love our actives as they stimulate the skin for a renewed appearance. It is the main reason clients come to us. The skin is already working harder than normal in its job of protecting us against toxins. Use actives sparingly or go with a lesser concentration to give your skin a break. As an example, if you’re recommending a strong Vitamin A product, consider a gentle version or switch the home protocol to using it fewer times per week. Clients may need to give it up for the time being to facilitate a strong, protective barrier.
4. Regardless of skin type or condition, the use of a gentle cleanser both morning and evening is important. Don’t count on a cleanser to remove makeup and sunscreen, both of which are created to stay on the skin. Suggest a makeup remover, then have clients proceed with NeoGenesis Cleanser to cleanse the skin in a gentle, pH friendly manner.
5. Use a serum formulated to support and protect the skin after cleansing. NeoGenesis Recovery, Booster, or Skin Serum are all powerful yet soothing serums to help the skin recover and rejuvenate through morning and evening use. These can be used by all clients, with no contraindications.
6. It has never been more important to protect the skin’s barrier. NeoGenesis Barrier Renewal Cream is a lightweight, unscented and deeply hydrating product that works with the skin to restore and protect the barrier. Skin cannot be healthy without a strong barrier. This is a must have for radiant skin.
7. The microbiome of the skin is an important aspect of healthy skin. Our skin, like our gut, contains both good and harmful bacteria on the surface. When it is out of balance, a dysbiosis occurs and the harmful bacteria begin to take over, creating havoc on the skin. To balance the skin’s microbiome, spray NeoGenesis MB-1 as the last step in a morning and evening routine, as well as every single time a mask is removed. Have clients carry this spray with them and whenever they remove their mask, mist the skin with this refreshing spray to maintain the correct balance of bacteria on the skin.
8. Use a gentle enzyme mask once a week to deep clean and exfoliate any buildup on the skin’s surface. NeoGenesis Enzyme Crème Mask is good for all skin types and requires 5 to 7 minutes, applied after cleansing, to give the skin back its glow.
9. Minimize makeup. Play up the eyes and eyebrows, giving foundation a break under a mask. A tinted sunscreen can give a lovely look to the skin in place of foundation.
10. Client rule: Never go to bed without cleansing the skin and applying a serum and moisturizer. It has never been more important than now to cleanse away the day and supply the skin with all of the nutrients it needs as it repairs itself during sleep.
11. Stay hydrated and eat a healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Stay away from sugary and processed foods. Both the skin and mental health and well-being will thrive with healthy food choices.
12. Reduce stress. Not easy, right? Even 1 minute of deep breathing can reset stress levels. Become aware of stress increasing and take a few minutes to stretch, have some water, and breathe deeply. Renew yourself throughout the day and teach clients to do the same.
Following these tips will help to mitigate long term damage to the skin. NeoGenesis products contain the patented S²RM® technology and support the skin by feeding it all the nutrients it needs to remain strong and healthy.
You’ve got this and NeoGenesis is here with everything you need to help you and your clients thrive.
6377 Nancy Ridge Drive, Suite A
San Diego, CA 92121 USA